Study Tips Cognition
There wil be a new, 6th edition of ‘Neuroscience’ , the course textbook. Prof. White will work on a new edition of the course, based on that next edition. The release of the 6th edition will take place early 2017.. Prof. White will add new anatomical videos, including more content from MRI to the Neuroanatomy of the course.
The part in the course on Cognition will be enriched by another resource. Prof. White will add content from the second edition of Dr. Purves’ and colleagues’ other major textbook, Principles of Cognitive Neuroscience .
Consequently the resources and the Study Tips on Cognition, will be updated to the new content.
Study Tip Cognition 1.
In Brain Development you had an excellent opportunity to review material. You have the same opportunity in Cognition.
First of all there is this strategic Study Tip for reviewing previous material.
Under a Video Tutorial at the right hand side of your screen you see in the list of Downloads two text files. The first one is a file with Subtitles (WEBVTT)) , the next one is at Transcript (txt).
You can use the .txt files from the tutorials that contain information on the concept you want to review to decide which of the tutorials you want to watch again. You can open the txt files in Notebook.
The information in the file ‘Subtitles’ (WEBVTT)) refers also to the time slot in the tutorial where the text is spoken. You can go back to a specific time in a tutorial and review the visual material that is presented on a certain neuromedical concept.
Study Tip Cognition 2.
Also you can use the resources on the Virtual Lab, Unit 6: Cognition.
Study Tip Cognition 3.
Previously introduced resources are also very important in Cognition, like:
Anatomical aspects of cognition:
- Regions and functions in the cerebral cortex: a list of functions and deficits or problems revealed when injury occurs at particular locations by Centre for Neuro Skills
- What happens when you remove the hippocampus? TED-Ed Originals by Sam Kean.
Psychological aspects of cognition:
- Pychology: An Introduction. Chapter Seven: Cognition by Russ Dewey
Cognition in relation to deficits, damage and disease:
- Regions and functions in the cerebral cortex: this is a list of functions and deficits or problems that occur with injury at particular locations.
- An introductory video on cognition in relation to mental illness. The Brain’s Inner Workings part II: Cognition by NIMH (National Institure for Mental Health)
- The Split Brain Experiment by Nobelprize.org
- Treasure Hunt a video on Broca’s aphasia by Shiree Heath
- The Limbic System, The Brain from Top to Bottom
- The Amygdala and its allies, The Brain from Top to Bottom
- The Human Brain: How we decide a YouTube video by FFree Thinker