Neuroanatomy, general resources
- 3D Brain, Genes to Cognition Online by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. A very useful 3D model of the brain with descriptions of various brain structures, associated functions, associated cognitive disorders, substructures, research reviews, etc.
- The Human Brain by www. anatomie-amsterdam.nl: Brain atlas for educational purposes, with clear interactive images. Includes external views of the brain and cerebellum, cerebrum slices , white matter, tracts and MRI scans.
- 3D Brain by BrainFacts.org. Interactive brain model with clear and helpful structure descriptions.
- MRI Atlas of the Brain. An interactive presentation of the anatomical structures, by Javad Hekmat-panah, MD, Professor of Neurosurgery, Neurology and Cancer Research University of Chicago.
- Allen Brain Atlas: Contains several free online atlases of the human and mouse brain adult and developing brains, published by the Allen Institute (Paul Allen is one of the founders of Microsoft). The data are heavily geared towards gene expression, but the reference atlases are quite usable and useful. Have a look at the Allan Brain Atlas tutorials.
- Anatomy of the Brain by University of British Columbia with a Creative Commons License: web atlas, imaging, 3D reconstructions, stroke model, brain & behaviour, neurotutorials , movies.
- The Unfixed Brain: YouTube video by University of Utah Brain Institute.
- Basic Parts of the Brain – Part 1-: tutorial with 3D Brain Model by AnatomyZone.com
- Basic Parts of the Brain- Part 2-: tutorial with 3D Brain Model by AnatomyZone.com
- ZygoteBody Anatomy: create a free account and use the 3D Brain Model to learn
- Brainbows — Mixing Colors to Map the Brain In this video from Vania Cao shows how scientists developed the “brainbow” technique to differentiate neurons by color, and it took third place in the 2014 Brain Awareness Video Contest of the SfN.
- Neuroanatomy Online: open-access electronic laboratory for the neurosciences. Lab 1 – Overview of the Nervous System
Functional Microanatomy of Neurons
- The Life and Death of a Neuron: by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
- Figure 1. Parts of a Neuron: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College.
- Figure 2 Neuron Classification by Shape: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College
Non-Neural Cells of the Central Nervous System (CNS)
- Neuroglia and the Brain. Video about glia, thelesser-known brain cells support and protect neurons. Brain Awareness Video Contest 2013 of the SfN. Video by secondary school students Yash Patel, Michelle Goffreda, Robby Vasen, and Kat Lin of High Technology High School, Lincroft, NJ.
- Figure 4. Glial Cells of the CNS.: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College
Basic Orientation in the Human CNS
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Directional Terms in Neuroscience: 2-Minute Neuroscience by Neuroscientifically Challenged
- Lab 1 – Overview of the Nervous System Neuroanatomy Online. Planes of Section
- Orientation: The Planes of the Brain: Neuroanatomy Video Lab – Brain Dissections
Lateral Surface of the Cerebral Hemispheres
- Lateral View of the Brain with labels by www.anatomie-amsterdam
- Gross Cortical Anatomy (Lateral Surface) by Handwritten Tutorials
- Functional Cortical Anatomy (Lateral Surface) by Handwritten Tutorials (not especially relevant in Unit 1 but very valuable in Units 3 and 4 and for the Functional Anatomy Exam)
- Surface anatomy, interactive digital lab of Columbia University for the lateral brain surface
Medial Surface of the Cerebral Hemispheres
- Medial View of the Brain with labels by www.anatomie-amsterdam
- Gross Cortical Anatomy (Medial Surface) by Handwritten Tutorials
- Functional Cortical Anatomy (Medial Surface) by Handwritten Tutorials(Not especially relevant in Unit 1 but very valuable in Units 3 and 4)
Ventral Surface of the Cerebral Hemisphere
- Ventral View with labels by www. anatomie-amsterdam
Overview of Cerebral Anatomy
- Cerebrum slices by www. anatomie-amsterdam. Here coronal slices of the cerebrum can be viewed. Go to the first image and go to the next slice by clicking the yellow arrow at the left
Cranial and Spinal Nerves
- Cranial Nerve website from Yale’s school of medicine
- Brainstem Anatomy 2 – Anterior Aspect with Cranial Nerves by Handwritten Tutorials
- Cranial Nerves song by BrainFacts.org
- Cranial nerves video from the Brain Awareness Video Contest 2011 of the SfN by Scarth Locke, a Samuel Merritt University graduate student, , along with associate professor Barb Puder.
- Cranial Nerves Basics 3D: Anatomy Tutorial by AnatomyZone
- ZygoteBody Anatomy: create a free account and use the 3D Brain Model to learn Cranial and Spinal nerves
- Cranial Nerves illustrated by professors from Department of Biology, University of Toronto Mississauga
Anatomy of the Brainstem
- Brainstem Anatomy 1 – Midsagittal Section by Handwritten Tutorials
- Brainstem Anatomy 3 – Posterior Aspect by Handwritten Tutorials
- Atlas of the Brain Stem by Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
- Spinal Cord/Brainstem Interactive Atlas by Bellarmine University
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Midbrain: by Neuroscientifically Challenged
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Pons: by Neuroscientifically Challenged
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Medulla Oblongata: by Neuroscientifically Challenged
Cranial Nerve Nuclei
- Brainstem Nuclei by University of British Columbia
Internal Anatomy of the Spinal Cord
- Spinal Pathways 1 – Spinal Cord Anatomy and Organisation by Handwritten Tutorials
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Spinal Cord Cross-section by Neuroscientifically Challenged.
Blood Supply to the Brain
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Blood Supply of the Brain by Neuroscientifically Challenged
- The Blood Supply of the Brain and Spinal Cord. Go to Neuroscience 2nd edition at the NCBI bookshelf. Enter “The Blood Supply of the Brain and Spinal Cord” in the search box for this book. Figures 1.19, 1.20 and 1.21 are extremely useful.
- 3D Reconstructions Blood Supply by University of British Columbia.
- Figure 2. Dural Sinuses and Veins: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College.
- Figure 4. Cerebrospinal Fluid Circulation: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College.
Internal Capsule and Deep Gray Matter
- 3D Reconstructions Basal Ganglia : Anatomy of the Brain, University of British Columbia
- 2-Minute Neuroscience: Basal Ganglia by Neuroscientifically Challenged
Be careful do not violate copyright. You can share images from Anatomy & Physiology if you cite the source, including the download link (see Virtual Lab, General Resources). Featured videos: only YouTube and Vimeo videos with a “Share” button have been embedded. If the owner enables the Share button, it means that they allow others to embed the video. If the copyright owner of the video has made a mistake and does not want the video embedded despite the Share button, please inform me. I will remove the video immediately. -Ellen-