Featured Video: Auditory Transduction. This 7-minute video by Brandon Pletsch takes viewers on a step-by-step voyage through the inside of the ear, to the acoustic accompaniment of classical music. Brandon Pletsch is a graduate student of the Medical College of Georgia.
Brain Section Images for visualizing pathways
created by a Community Teaching Assistant. In 2014, B.C. Jackson created the following learning tools for reviewing pathways during the first run of Medical Neuroscience:
Overview of the Thalamus
- The Thalamus: 2-Minute Neuroscience by Neuroscientifically Challenged
- Overview of the Thalamus on Scholarpedia by S.M. Sherman
Overview of Cortex and Cortical Circuits
- Visualizing the brain as a universe of synapses by Stanford Medicine. This is the featured video on the page “Unit 1 NeuroAnatomy”of the Virtual Lab.
- The architecture of the autistic brain is speckled with patches of abnormal neurons: National Institute of Mental Health.
General Principles of Sensory Systems
- The somatosensory system: animation by Pearson education
- Somatosensory Receptive Fields: Animation 8.2 – Biological Psychology 7th ed.
- Dorsal column medial lemniscal pathway by Handwritten Tutorials
- Interactive animations on muscle spindles and the actions of gamma motor neurons and golgi tendon organs (requires flash)
Pain and Temperature
- Pain and the Anterolateral System: 2-Minute Neuroscience by Neuroscientifically Challenged
- Anterolateral pathway/Spinothalamic tract by Handwritten Tutorials
- See for Yourself by Prof. Dale Purves of Duke University
- Optic tracts in a brain specimen by www.anatomie-amsterdam.nl
- Lateral view of the optic radiation in a brain specimen by www.anatomie-amsterdam.nl
- How the brain processes 3D motion by the University of Texas
- Receptive Fields in the Retina: Animation 10.3 – Biological Psychology 7th ed.
- Visual Pathways:Animation 12.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Auditory Transduction: YouTube Video by Brandon Pletsch. The Featured Video on this page of the Virtual Lab.
- The Human Ear: Animation 13.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Mapping Auditory Frequencies: Animation 9.3 – Biological Psychology 7th ed.
- Basilar Membrane Motion 4: Bach’s Tocata & Fugue by Professor Jim Hudspeth
- Dancing Outer Hair Cell by Prof. Jonathan Ashmore. The video shows an isolated guinea pig outer hair cell to which a whole cell patch clamp electrode has been attached. Through the pipette, an alternating current signal is injected, and the resulting motor response is observed under a microscope.
- The Vestibular System: Animation 14.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Chapter 10: Vestibular System: Structure and Function – Neuroscience Online, University of Texas Health Science Center
- Chapter 11: Vestibular System: Pathways and Reflexes – Neuroscience Online, University of Texas Health Science Center
Chemical Senses: Olfaction
- The Olfactory system: Animation 15.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
Chemical Senses: Gustation
- Taste: review activity – Biological Psychology 7th ed.
Be careful not to violate copyright. Images of publications by Pearson publishers and Sinauer publishers (Biological Psychology, Neuroscience) for example can not be shared. Featured videos: only YouTube and Vimeo videos with a “Share” button have been embedded. If the owner enables the Share button, it means that they allow others to embed the video. If the copyright owner of the video has made a mistake and does not want the video embedded despite the Share button, please inform me. I will remove the video immediately. -Ellen-