Featured Video: Auditory Transduction. This 7-minute video by Brandon Pletsch takes viewers on a step-by-step voyage through the inside of the ear, to the acoustic accompaniment of classical music. Brandon Pletsch is a graduate student of the Medical College of Georgia.
Brain Section Images for visualizing pathways
created by a Community Teaching Assistant. In 2014, B.C. Jackson created the following learning tools for reviewing pathways during the first run of Medical Neuroscience:
Overview of the Thalamus
- The Thalamus: 2-Minute Neuroscience by Neuroscientifically Challenged
- Overview of the Thalamus on Scholarpedia by S.M. Sherman
Overview of Cortex and Cortical Circuits
- Visualizing the brain as a universe of synapses by Stanford Medicine. This is the featured video on the page “Unit 1 NeuroAnatomy”of the Virtual Lab.
- The architecture of the autistic brain is speckled with patches of abnormal neurons: National Institute of Mental Health.
General Principles of Sensory Systems
- The somatosensory system: animation by Pearson education
- Your Sixth Sense. Proprioception is your sense of your body’s position in space, and without it you wouldn’t be able to walk or scratch your nose with your eyes closed. Learn more about your “sixth sense” in this video created by UCSD graduate student Alison Caldwell and her husband, Micah Caldwell. The video took third place in the 2015 Brain Awareness Video Contest.
- Dorsal column medial lemniscal pathway by Handwritten Tutorials
- Interactive animations on muscle spindles and the actions of gamma motor neurons and golgi tendon organs (requires flash)
Pain and Temperature
- Pain and the Anterolateral System: 2-Minute Neuroscience by Neuroscientifically Challenged
- Anterolateral pathway/Spinothalamic tract by Handwritten Tutorials
- See for Yourself by Prof. Dale Purves of Duke University
- Optic tracts in a brain specimen by www.anatomie-amsterdam.nl
- Lateral view of the optic radiation in a brain specimen by www.anatomie-amsterdam.nl
- How the brain processes 3D motion by the University of Texas
- Visual Pathways:Animation 12.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Receptive Fields in the Retina – animation by Sumanas inc.
- Auditory Transduction: YouTube Video by Brandon Pletsch. The Featured Video on this page of the Virtual Lab.
- The Human Ear: Animation 13.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Basilar Membrane Motion 4: Bach’s Tocata & Fugue by Professor Jim Hudspeth
- Dancing Outer Hair Cell by Prof. Jonathan Ashmore. The video shows an isolated guinea pig outer hair cell to which a whole cell patch clamp electrode has been attached. Through the pipette, an alternating current signal is injected, and the resulting motor response is observed under a microscope.
- The Vestibular System: Animation 14.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Chapter 10: Vestibular System: Structure and Function – Neuroscience Online, University of Texas Health Science Center
- Chapter 11: Vestibular System: Pathways and Reflexes – Neuroscience Online, University of Texas Health Science Center
Chemical Senses: Olfaction
- The Olfactory system: Animation 15.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
Chemical Senses: Gustation
Be careful not to violate copyright. Images of publications by Pearson publishers and Sinauer publishers (Biological Psychology, Neuroscience) for example can not be shared. Featured videos: only YouTube and Vimeo videos with a “Share” button have been embedded. If the owner enables the Share button, it means that they allow others to embed the video. If the copyright owner of the video has made a mistake and does not want the video embedded despite the Share button, please inform me. I will remove the video immediately. -Ellen-