Featured video: ThePianoGuys; 5 Guys, one piano. One Direction – What Makes You Beautiful.
Cognition, general resources
- Genes to Cognition Online by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. resource provided by Prof. White under the link to General Resources in the course Medical Neuroscience. A very useful 3D model of the brain with description of various brain structures, associated functions, associated cognitive disorders, substructures, research reviews, etc. Useful for Unit 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and in the preparation for the Functional Anatomy Exam and the Comprehensive Final Exam. This video on Using G2C Online is useful to watch.
Anatomical aspects of cognition
- Brain Function and Deficits of the Centre for Neuro Skills.
- Regions and functions in the cerebral cortex: a list of functions and deficits or problems revealed when injury occurs at particular locations by Centre for Neuro Skills
- What happens when you remove the hippocampus? TED-Ed Originals by Sam Kean.
- Sketch of a memory. Learn about the processes of memory and watch as a woman remembers her first date in this video. Brain Awareness Video Contest 2013 of the SfN by Xavier Viñals and África Flores from Pompeu Fabra University in Catalonia, Spain.
Cognition in relation to deficits, damage and disease
- An introductory video on cognition in relation to mental illness.: The Brain’s Inner Workings part II: Cognition by NIMH (National Institute for Mental Health
- The Split Brain Experiment by Nobelprize.org
- Treasure Hunt a video on Broca’s aphasia, Brain Awareness Video Contest 2011 of the SfN by Shiree Heath a graduate student at The University of Queensland in Australia.
- National Institutes of Health A-Z of brain diseases and disorders
List of more than 400 neurological disorders from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, with summaries of symptom descriptions, treatment options and prognosis, information about ongoing research on causes, diagnosis, and potential therapies
Sleep and Wakefulness
- One Family, Different Clocks a video on biological clocks. Brain Awareness Video Contest 2012 of the SfN by Jaime Tartar and Tatiana Viena from Nova Southeastern University. Their video won second place in the 2012 Brain Awareness Video Contest and was voted the fan favorite in the People’s Choice Contest.
- The benefits of a good night’s sleep – Shai Marcu
- Figure 3. The Limbic Lobe: Anatomy and Physiology OpenStax College
Neurobiology of emotion
- The Emotional Brain: An Introduction to Affective Neuroscience by Davidson Films Inc.
Neurobiology of addiction
- Marijuana Blows Your Mind, a video on the effect of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main mind-altering component in cannabis that affects brain function, impacting short-term memory and motor control. Brain Awareness Video Contest 2013 of the SfN. Video by Leiden University graduate student Roeland Heerema
- The Science of addiction: Genetics and the Brain by University of Utah, Health Sciences
- Inside the brain of a gambling addict – BBC News
Respect the copy rights of the sites this page links to. Refrain from sharing images from Sinauer publications (Neuroscience and Biological Psychology). Images in OpenStax College publications have Creative Commons 4.0 License. Featured videos: only YouTube and Vimeo videos with a “Share” button have been embedded. If the owner enables the Share button, it means that they allow others to embed the video. If the copyright owner of the video has made a mistake and does not want the video embedded despite the Share button, please inform me. I will remove the video immediately. -Ellen-