Neuroanatomy, general resources
- Genes to Cognition Online by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. A very useful 3D model of the brain with descriptionsof various brainstructures, associated functions, associated cognitive disorders, substructures, research reviews, etc.
- The Human Brain by www. anatomie-amsterdam.nl: Brain atlas for educational purposes, with clear interactive images. Includes external views of the brain and cerebellum, cerebrum slices , white matter, tracts and MRI scans.
- Allen Brain Atlas: Contains several free online atlases of the human and mouse brain adult and develloping brains, published by the Allen Institute (Paul Allen is one of the founders of Microsoft). The data are heavily geared towards gene expression, but the reference atlases are quite usable and useful.
- Anatomy of the Brain by University of British Columbia with a Creative Commons License: web atlas, imaging, 3D reconstructions, stroke model, brain & behaviour, neurotutorials , movies.
- The Unfixed Brain: YouTube video by University of Utah Brain Institute.
- Biological Psychology 7th edition; Animation: Brain Explorer. Each chapter has a different Brain Explorer Animation. Check our the animations from different chapters.
- Basic Parts of the Brain – Part 1-: tutorial with 3D Brain Model by AnatomyZone.com
- Basic Parts of the Brain- Part 2-: tutorial with 3D Brain Model by AnatomyZone.com
- ZygoteBody Anatomy: create a free account and use the 3D Brain Model to learn
Functional Microanatomy of Neurons
- The Life and Death of a Neuron: by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
- Figure 1. Parts of a Neuron: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College.
- Figure 2 Neuron Classification by Shape: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College
Non-Neural Cells of the Central Nervous System (CNS)
- Figure 4. Glial Cells of the CNS.: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College
Basic Orientation in the Human CNS
- Brain Navigation: Neuroscience tutorial by Columbia University
Lateral Surface of the Cerebral Hemispheres
- Lateral View of the Brain with labels by www.anatomie-amsterdam
- Gross Cortical Anatomy (Lateral Surface) by Handwritten Tutorials
- Functional Cortical Anatomy (Lateral Surface) by Handwritten Tutorials (not especially relevant in Unit 1 but very valuable in Units 3 and 4 and for the Functional Anatomy Exam)
Medial Surface of the Cerebral Hemispheres
- Gross Cortical Anatomy (Medial Surface) by Handwritten Tutorials
- Functional Cortical Anatomy (Medial Surface) by Handwritten Tutorials(Not especially relevant in Unit 1 but very valuable in Units 3 and 4)
Ventral Surface of the Cerebral Hemisphere
- Ventral View with labels by www. anatomie-amsterdam
Overview of Cerebral Anatomy
- Cerebrum slices by www. anatomie-amsterdam. Here coronal slices of the cerebrum can be viewed. Go to the first image and go to the next slice by clicking the yellow arrow at the left
Cranial and Spinal Nerves
- Brainstem Anatomy 2 – Anterior Aspect with Cranial Nerves by Handwritten Tutorials
- Cranial Nerves song by BrainFacts.org
- Cranial Nerves Basics 3D: Anatomy Tutorial by AnatomyZone
- ZygoteBody Anatomy: create a free account and use the 3D Brain Model to learn Cranial and Spinal nerves
- Cranial Nerves illustrated by professors from Department of Biology, University of Toronto Mississauga
- Cranial Nerve website from Yale’s school of medicine
Anatomy of the Brainstem
- Brainstem Anatomy 1 – Midsagittal Section by Handwritten Tutorials
- Brainstem Anatomy 3 – Posterior Aspect by Handwritten Tutorials
- Brainstem, Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases by H. Blumenfeld On Sinauer’s website, you can download the sample chapter on the brainstem (Chapter 12). Go to Sample Content’ –> View Chapter 12 to download the chapter on the brainstem
- Atlas of the Brain Stem by Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
- Spinal Cord/Brainstem Interactive Atlas by Bellarmine University
Cranial Nerve Nuclei
- Brainstem Nuclei by University of British Columbia
Internal Anatomy of the Spinal Cord
- Spinal Pathways by Handwritten Tutorials
Blood Supply to the Brain
- The Blood Supply of the Brain and Spinal Cord. Go to Neuroscience 2nd edition at the NCBI bookshelf. Enter “The Blood Supply of the Brain and Spinal Cord” in the search box for this book. Figures 1.19, 1.20 and 1.21 are extremely useful.
- Figure 2. Dural Sinuses and Veins: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College.
- Figure 4. Cerebrospinal Fluid Circulation: Anatomy & Physiology by OpenStax College.
Internal Capsule and Deep Gray Matter
- Anatomy of the basal ganglia : Handwritten Tutorials by Kailie and Tina
Be careful do not violate copyright. You can share images from Anatomy & Physiology if you cite the source, including the download link (see Virtual Lab, General Resources). Featured videos: only YouTube and Vimeo videos with a “Share” button have been embedded. If the owner enables the Share button, it means that they allow others to embed the video. If the copyright owner of the video has made a mistake and does not want the video embedded despite the Share button, please inform me. I will remove the video immediately. -Ellen-