Featured Video: Glass brain flythrough from Gazzaleylab / SCCN / Neuroscapelab. For more information visit the Glass Brain page on the Neuroscape Lab website.
Neural Signaling, general resources
- Biology – OpenStax college. Material for learners requiring more background information. Chapter 35: The Nervous System and Chapter 36: Sensory Systems
- Physiology: Interactive Biology: Very good short tutorial videos at a high school level
- Neurophysiology: Virtual Lab by Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI). Virtual electrophysiology lab where you can do a virtual experiment
- Nerve Signalling By Nobelprize.org: Very instructive playful site
Ionic Basis of the Resting Membrane Potential
- The Resting Membrane Potential: Animation 2.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Electrochemical Equilibrium: Animation 2.2 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Nernst-Goldman Simulator by Michael Branch and Dr. Stephen Wright at the University of Arizona
- The Action Potential: Animation 2.2 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
Molecular Mechanisms of Action Potential Generation
- The Sodium-Potassium Pump: Animation 4.2 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
Propagation of Action Potentials
- Impulse Conduction in Axons: Animation 3.2 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Conduction along Unmyelinated vs. Myelinated Axons: Animation 3.4 – Biological Psychology 7e.
- Spinal Pathways by Handwritten Tutorials
- Synaptic Transmission: Neuroscience 5th ed. On Sinauer’s website, you can download the sample chapter on the synaptic transmission, (Chapter 5). Go to Sample Content –> View Chapter 5 to download the chapter on synaptic transmission
- Synaptic Transmission: Animation 5.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Molecular mechanism of synaptic function by Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Neurotransmitters and their Receptors
- Ionotropic and Metabotropic Receptors: Animation 3.4 – Biological Psychology 7e.
- Neurotransmitter Pathways: Acetylcholine: Animation 6.1 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Neurotransmitter Pathways: Glutamate: Animation 6.2 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Neurotransmitter Pathways: Dopamine: Animation 6.3 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Neurotransmitter Pathways: Norepinephrine: Animation 6.4 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Neurotransmitter Pathways: Serotonin: Animation 6.5 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Summation of Postsynaptic Potentials: Animation 5.2 – Neuroscience 5th ed.
- Synaptic plasticity:Animations 8; 8.1 and 8.2 – Neuroscience 5th edition
- How Synapses Work: YouTube Video by the Salk Institute
- Enhancing the plasticity of the brain: Max Cynader at TEDxStanleyPark
Finally: respect copyright law when you are using the material linked on this website. Biological Psychology and Neuroscience are titles from the Sinauer Publishers. This material can not be shared. Please have a look at the information on Virtual Lab/General Resources. Featured videos: only YouTube and Vimeo videos with a “Share” button have been embedded. If the owner enables the Share button, it means that they allow others to embed the video. If the copyright owner of the video has made a mistake and does not want the video embedded despite the Share button, please inform me. I will remove the video immediately. -Ellen-